The rice cooker is a staple kitchen gadget in every Filipino home — and for a good reason, too! There’s actually more to a rice cooker than just cooking rice to perfection. And some even call it the “Swiss Army knife of small kitchen appliances”! It can work as a soup pot, a skillet, and even a sauté pan. Try it! Start with these simple rice cooker recipes.
Rice Cooker Congee for Breakfast
Start the day with a steaming hot serving of rice porridge. It’s a simple, savory morning with this congee rice cooker recipe!
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ lb. lean pork strips (about ½” thick each strip)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 4 – 5 cups water (less water for thicker consistency)
- 2 scallions or leeks, finely chopped
- Pour oil into the rice cooker, cover and set to Cook. When the base of the cooker pot gets warm, add the pork, salt and pepper. Cover for a bit and let the pork fry for about 8 minutes until fragrant.
- When it starts to smell good, take half of the pork and set aside. Add and mix cleaned rice with the pork within the pot. Slowly, add the water, cover the rice cooker and allow contents to come to a boil. Prevent over-bubbling by lifting the rice cooker cover.
- Once boiling, add the pork that was set aside earlier. Let contents simmer for 30 minutes with the rice cooker lid tilted slightly to let out steam pressure. Stir occasionally until rice turns into a soft pulp.
- Finally, garnish with scallions or leeks before serving.
Beef Stew for Lunch
A classic beef bowl for lunch? Who says no to that? Here’s how you cook beef stew in a rice cooker!
- 1 lb. beef, cut into cubes
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 cans beef broth, 14 oz each
- 10 – 12 fresh green beans
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tsp. cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup water
- Turn rice cooker on and set to Cook. Once heated, add olive oil and garlic.
- Throw in cubed beef. Stir and cook for a few minutes before adding onions. Then mix in carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper, and beef broth. Cook for about 20 – 30 minutes, until beef and potatoes are tender.
- Add green beans and celery. Close the lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Then pour in cornstarch. Adjust setting to Warm and close lid until ready to serve. Pop a spoonful on top of rice in a bowl, and you’re good to go.
Mac and Cheese for Snack
Now here’s something kids and kids-at-heart wouldn’t miss: Mac and Cheese! Here’s how quick it is to prepare with a rice cooker.
- 10.5 oz. elbow macaroni
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper (optional)
- In your rice cooker, combine macaroni, salt and 2 cups water. Set the rice cooker on Cook and leave for 30 minutes, or until the cooking cycle is almost complete and most of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in the milk, cheese, flour, salt and black pepper. Close the lid, turn the cooker to Warm. Let it cook for about 10 minutes when cheese is melted and the milk is well incorporated.
Steamed Fish with Green Onions for Dinner
Finally, close the day with a healthy serving of rice cooker-steamed fish and green onions for dinner.
- a fillet of frozen halibut (or 150g)
- ½ – 1 tbsp. shredded ginger
- 1 tsp. soy sauce, or to taste
- ½ – 1 tbsp. thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tsp. oil
- ½ tbsp. fermented soybean paste
- pinch of ground white pepper
- pinch of salt, no more than 1/8 tsp.
- Cook rice as usual. Before the end of its cooking time, open the rice cooker and put a steaming rack on top of the rice. Then place a plate with your fish on it. Cover lid and continue cooking.
- After 5 to 7 minutes, open the lid to check on your fish. Use a fork and stick it on the thickest part of the fish. Fork ends should pass through easily.
- Scatter green onions over the fish. Drizzle soy sauce and oil around it. Finally, serve with hot rice.
Have a fuzz-free time in the kitchen with Kyowa’s range of high-quality rice cookers with multi-cooking features! Get your Kyowa rice cooker at Lazada!